Employing Migrant Workers

Constantly changing demographics mean that dental practices need to ensure that they recruit and retain from a diverse pool if they are to service the needs of their patients and in some cases their non-UK professional staff.There can be tremendous benefi ts to the practice in employing migrant workers but as an employer you are legally required to make the necessary checks on people from outside the UK, before they start working for you.

The practice must:

  1. Obtain the candidates original documentation
  2. Check the documentation
  3. Take copies of their documentation
  4. Check the candidates registration with The Worker Registration Scheme, if relevant (applies only to certain nationalities, you can check at www.employingmigrantworkers. org.uk.).

Can your potential employee prove their entitlement to work in the UK by providing any of the following documents?

  • A passport showing British citizenship
  • A national passport or a national identity card showing the holder is a national of a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland
  • A residence permit issued to a national from a EEA country or Switzerland
  • A passport showing that the holder has a right of abode in the UK
  • Either a passport or other document, issued by the Home Office, stating that the holder has a current right of residence in the UK as the family member of a national from a EEA country or Switzerland who is resident in the UK
  • An application Registration Card issued by the Home Office to an asylum seeker stating that the holder is permitted to take up employment
  • A passport or other travel document which has been endorsed to show the holder can stay in the UK, and that this endorsement allows the holder to do the type of work you are offering provided it does not require a work permit
  • A passport or other travel document which has been endorsed to show the holder is exempt from immigration control and can stay indefi nitely in the UK, or has no time limit on their stay

Can they provide evidence of their permanent National Insurance Number (NINO) by showing one of the following?

  • A P45
  • A P60
  • A National Insurance Number card
  • A pay-slip from a previous employer
  • A document issued by a government agency, such as, the Department for Work and Pensions, HMRC, Jobcentre Plus, Training and Employment Agency or Employment

Service Unacceptable forms:

  • A Construction Industry Scheme certificate
  • A temporary NINO (commencing TN, or ending with a letter between E and Z)

Any job applicant who does not possess a national passport will have been issued a NINO by the Department for Work and Pensions or Jobcentre Plus.

Without taking the time to carry out these simple checks a practice employer leaves themselves vulnerable to civil and criminal charges, however the potential benefits of diversity are huge and these simple precautions should not dissuade practices from employing from a talented migrant pool.

Boa sorte!

If you have any queries please contact chris@dbs.org.uk

Original Article: ‘Employing Migrant Workers’ on dbs.org.uk